Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Christmas Day with James Brainerd Taylor

An excerpt from James Brainerd Taylor's diary on Christmas Day, December 25, 1822. Written while Taylor was a 21-year-old student at the still-existent Lawrencevillle School (5 miles southwest of Princeton, N.J.). Taken from the Memoir of James Brainerd Taylor (NY: American Tract Society, 1833), pages 177-78.

"During the day my mind was solemn; and on my way home [from meditating near his favorite tree], as I mused, the fire burned. In the highway Jesus was exceedingly precious. It is God--the triune, the holy God, that captivates my heart--and to be conformed to the image of his dear Son is my supreme desire. Lord, make me more holy!

"This has been a good Christmas Day to me. The birth of the Savior has occurred to my mind, in all its circumstances, with pleasing reflections. But now he reigns on high, the Judge of all. What a mysterious, yet consistent whole! And all to make his people blessed forever."

No comments: